Scenario 3: New Corridors Expansion

The expansion scenarios were created to serve as a general guide for expansion in the six-year period. It is not anticipated that any one of these draft expansion scenarios would be selected and adopted strictly as described. Elements of all of the scenarios may be present in the final expansion plan. Eventually, the County plans to expand the Capital Bikeshare network throughout Arlington, while adhering to the expansion principles.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to provide your comments.

Concentrate expansion in new corridors, Columbia Pike and Lee Highway.

Concentrate expansion in new corridors, Columbia Pike (along cross streets and parallel streets in the near-term) or Lee Highway. While the expansion would take place along these new corridors, the expansion on these corridors would connect to the existing Capital Bikeshare corridors. The connection to Columbia Pike would be made under I-395 at Pentagon City. The expansion along Lee Highway would extend from the existing Capital Bikeshare stations that are located near Lee Highway in Rosslyn. Each corridor would be substantially developed to allow Capital Bikeshare to be used extensively for internal trips, as well as for connection to the existing Capital Bikeshare corridors. The expansion along Lee Highway would connect to the East Falls Church Metrorail station, giving users in North Arlington neighborhoods and at key destinations along Lee Highway a new way to access the station. The expansion along Columbia Pike would provide easy access to Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor and the Jefferson Davis Corridor for users along Columbia Pike.

Scenario 3 Pros:

• Leverages existing high frequency bus service
  • Provides service in North Arlington
  • Access to East Falls Church Metro
  • Better geographic coverage and demographic diversity

Scenario 3 Cons:

• Not well connected to the trail network
  • Not well connected to existing CaBi network
  • Challenging environment for bicyclists/safety
  • Higher operating costs/more rebalancing compared to Scenario 1

Please provide your comments on Scenario 3.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. High density Columbia Pike corridor is best place for expansion

The Columbia Pike corridor, long neglected by County services, has the density to support Capital Bikeshare. It would allow alternatives to Metrobus/ART to/from the Orange Line corridor and Pentagon City. And it would service areas of Arlington that are less affluent than the current area. Do the right thing, bring Capital Bikeshare to the Pike.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Like the length of Columbia Pike to Shirlington, and like the idea of connecting more of North Arl to Metro.....

...But the Custis Trail seems like a miserable environment to ride a CaBi bike. Way too many up/down hills, speed differential, and narrow widths to entice too many Lee Highway area folks to hop on. Any expansion to East Falls Church should wait on if/when more density pops up around the metro, and more bike facilities besides the trail reach out there.

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      • Scenario 3 is the way to go

This is the perfect plan as it brings Bikeshare to two of the most requested areas (Columbia Pike and Shirlington), and connects Bikeshare to all Arlington Metro stops (East Falls Church). I would use Bikeshare at all three of these new areas.

I think we should stick to on-street bike stations. Bikeshare is used to connect homes, businesses, and public transportation when walking is too far and driving is unnecessary. I've never used Bikeshare on a trail, and I don't think that should be the focus.

1 - votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)